Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BLOG: Ohh- You meant THAT kind of stool sample!


Have you ever said something you regret? I’m not talking about the time you cussed out that noisy baby in the movie theater or when you asked the fat lady if she was expecting. I’m talking about something that seemed to make absolute sense at the moment you said it, but upon further examination, you wish you could cram it back into your pie hole before anyone else noticed how stupid it was.
As a maker of fine films, I have learned the importance of carefully considering what you will say before the cameras role. In this day and age only two things last forever: Little Debbie snack cakes and things you put on the internet. If you make yourself look stupid on video, as I try to do every couple of weeks, your stupidity will spread like wildfire as it is linked to and embedded upon websites across the world wide web.
Here’s a classic illustration. I came across this video on You Tube last night. Here I was, minding my own business, enjoying a cold one, when George at WWGOA made it all come out my nose. Watch the two minute video below and see if you notice…

See how one word can change everything? A video about stool design suddenly becomes a parody by inserting the word “sample”. By the time he said he liked to invite people to sit on his big stool samples to see how they felt under their butts, I had figured out his true (and very funny) intention. My wife, who is not one for potty humor, wasn’t fooled either. Intentional or not, I am here to tell you that even the smartest people can look dumb if their words aren’t chosen properly.
Take it from me, a guy who looks dumb for a living!